Free Advice Related FAQs Contact Us
UK Tier-4 General Student Visa

UK Tier-4 General Student Visa

If you wish to study in UK universities, you will have to apply for a UK Tier-4 General Student Visa. You can apply for a Tier-4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you have been offered a place on a course

Eligibility Conditions for Tier 4 General Student Visa

You must be able to speak, read, write and understand English, have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (the amount will vary depending on your circumstances). Also, you will  have to be from a country that’s not located in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and finally meet the other eligibility requirements set by the UK Visa and immigration office (UKVI). In conclusion, total cost for student visa application depends on your circumstances. To be informed about other requirements for student visa application, you can contact advisors at UKStudy.

UK Tier-4 Student Visa Application process

You will be able to apply for a short term study visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. Students should be informed about the consulate’s decision on your visa application within 3 weeks of delivering are the required materials. You can refer to the official guide for processing times on the UK government website to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from. However, you can save time by filling out the form below, to receive full information about Tier 4 General Student Visa from our advisors for free.

Tier-4 Student Visa Costs in The UK

The official fees related to the application of a tier 4 general student visa is £348 for applying from outside the UK, also you must pay £348 per person for any dependents. Please be advised that the above rates are subject to change by the UK Visa & Immigration Offices (UKVI) at any given time. Feel free to contact UKStudy’s advisers for updates and further details on this matter by filling out our inquiry form here.

Healthcare surcharge (IHS)

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge in advance as part of your application process to receive a tier-4 general student visa. Feel free to contact our advisers at UKStudy in order to find out how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

Duration of Your Stay with Tier-4 Student Visa

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts. This grace period can be up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less and up to 1 month before if your course lasts more than 6 months. The duration of your stay in the UK depends on the type of course you’ll be attending and your previously completed courses and qualifications.

Rules and conditions For Tier-4 Student Visa

Please note that as per the terms and conditions of the official UKVI’s online guide for tier-4 general student visas you will be able to:
  • Study at Tier-4 education centers.
  • Work as a student union sabbatical officer.
  • Apply from inside or outside the UK.
  • Apply to extend your stay if needed.
  • Work in most jobs depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have.
However, you will not be able to apply in order to receive public funds or work in certain jobs, for example, professional sportsperson or sports coach. Also, you won’t be allowed to study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) Be advised that you may be able to bring in family members (dependents) under specific circumstances.

Required Documents for Tier-4 Student Visa

When you apply for the Tier-4 general student visa you must provide:
  • A current passport or other valid travel documentation.
  • Proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course (this will vary depending on your circumstances).
  • Documents proving parental or other legal guardian consent if you’re under 18.
  • Proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian if you’re under 18.
  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test.
You will need a blank page in your passport for your visa. In addition, you may be asked to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances. For additional information on this subject, please fill out the form below.

English Language Proficiency for Student Visa

You must prove your English language Proficiency when you apply for a Tier-4 General Student Visa. This usually means passing a secure English language test (SELT).
Place of StudyCourse LevelKnowledge of English neededLevel
Higher education institution (HEI)Degree level or aboveReading, writing, listening and speakingEquivalent to level B2
Institution that’s not HEIDegree level or aboveSELT in reading, writing, listening and speakingCEFR level B2
Any other institutionBelow degreeSELT in reading, writing, listening and speakingCEFR level B1
*CEFR: Common European Framework for languages
HEIs can choose how to assess a student’s knowledge of English. They must still be at:
  • CEFR level B2 if you’re studying at a degree level or higher
  • SELT in reading, writing, listening and speaking and CEFR level B1 if you’re not studying at a degree level
Be advised, if you have to pass a SELT, it must be from an approved provider. Our expert consultants at UKStudy can assist you through every step of this application process. They will provide you with the latest information and news about changes to any of the conditions stated above. We will help you succeed in your path, to receiving a UK student visa so that you can get the education you deserve.
Contact us via the link down below to get started.