UK Short Term Study Visa

UK Short-Term Study Visa

UK Short Term Study Visa

You can apply for a UK Short-term study visa if you are doing a short course of study in the UK and you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and also meet the other eligibility requirements. Conditions for UK Short-Term Study Visa Application ,You can participate in a short study course in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course or a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad. However, you cannot study at a state-funded school or work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business. You will not have permission to extend this visa by any means or bring family members (‘dependents’) with you – they must apply separately. It is also important to note that Applicants for short-term study visa, are not allowed to apply & receive public funds or grants of any kind from public sources.

Duration of Your Stay in the UK with Short-Term Study Visa

You can stay in the UK for the length of your course or research. However, you may have permission to stay an extra 30 days if your total stay in the UK would account to no more than 6 months, or no more than 11 months if you’re both:

  • 16 or over and
  • Studying an English language course

Your visa will state the duration you have permission to stay in the UK. If you do not normally need a visa to visit the UK (In case of applicants whom are eligible for special arrangements), you can study for up to 6 months without applying in advance. You must see a border officer when you arrive in the UK – do not use the e-Passport gates. If you want to study for longer than 6 months, you must apply for a Short-term study visa in advance.

Short Term Study Visa Costs

The official fees associated with applying for a short-term study visa are as follows:

  • £97 for a 6-month visa
  • £186 for an 11-month visa

Please be advised that the above rates are subject to change by the UK Visa & Immigration Offices (UKVI) at any given time. Feel free to contact UKStudy’s advisers for updates and further details on this matter by filling out our inquiry form here.

Short Term Study Visa Application Process

Students will be able to apply for a short term study visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should be informed about the consulate’s decision on your visa application, within 3 weeks of delivering are the required materials. You can refer to the official guide for processing times on the UK government website to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.

Required Documents for UK Short-Term Study Visa

When you apply for a short-term study visa, you will need to provide:

  • A current passport or other valid travel identification.
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or pay-slips for the last 6 months
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans; you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa.
  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test and you’re coming to the UK for more than 6 months.
  • Contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old).
  • You will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
  • In addition, you will need a blank page in your passport for your visa.

Documents about Your Course in the UK

You must provide proof about the course you’re studying in, for example, a letter of acceptance from the educational institution on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation) also known as CAS. You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your:

  • The previous study, for example, academic certificates, references or transcripts
  • English language qualifications, for example, certificates or awards
  • Accommodation and travel plans
  • Permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)
  • Financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

If you’re under 18 you need to provide additional documents if you’re traveling on your own or if you’re traveling with someone who is not your parent or guardian.

Traveling on Your Own

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone who is 18 or over). However, your parent or guardian needs to provide their written consent for you to travel to the UK and full contact details in case of emergencies. They also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK or other similar accommodation options, including:

  • Name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • An address where you will be living
  • Details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
  • Consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK

In addition, you must provide a letter from the school confirming it has notified the local authority of your visit and the details of who’ll be caring for you if:

  • you’re under 16 (or under 18 if you have a disability)
  • you’ll be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a close relative (called ‘private foster care’)

Traveling With an Adult

When traveling to the UK with an adult (someone 18 or over), you need to identify them in your visa application. You should know that their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive to the UK without them. You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them. The accompanying adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

As described in the document above, the short term study visa is governed by many factors including terms and conditions, fees and required documents which can change overtime. As such we advise you to seek free expert counsel from our experienced advisers at UKStudy in order to ensure a correct and smooth process for your visa application.

UKStudy Partners

Universities A-Z

partners universities in the uk

Language Schools A-Z

language schools in the uk

Summer Schools A-Z

summer schools in the uk

Colleges A-Z

international in the uk

Boarding Schools A-Z

Boarding Schools in uk with ukstudy

Study In UK 2020

study in the uk 2020

Get Free Advice

Costs In UK

cost in the uk

Cost of living for those who want to study in UK includes tuition, accommodation, transportation, and food. However, there are some details about each one to notice.

UK Scholarships

scholarships in the uk

The best and newest scholarships in the UK in 2020 can cover all the costs of tuition, food, accommodation, and transport from and to your home country.

Study Football in UK

football in the uk

You can find a place among professional footballers in either UK or anywhere around the world. You just have to know where to kick off.

Visa Information


Student Visas in the UK comprise two types, Short-Term & Long-Term with the latter being of two sub-classes; over 16 & under 16 years of age.