Free Advice Related FAQs Contact Us

UK Student Visa Application Process

If you are considering studying at a University in the UK, it is time to inquire about your student visa application process. There are many details to learn and consider when traveling to study abroad. First, it is important to find out which documents you must have to support your visa application and what type of visa should you apply for that fits your type of course. But before that you will need to successfully apply for a CAS – Confirmation of Acceptance to Study from your destination university, so that your university application is verified. Please contact UKStudy’s advisors for any and all information regarding this matter. Only after receiving your CAS, you may begin your application process for one of the following visa categories detailed below.

Tier-4 (General) Student Visa

Tier-4 (General) Student Visa in The UK

If you are 16 or over and want to study at a tier-4 higher education institute, and you are a citizen of a country that is not in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa as it gives you permission to enter the UK for the purposes of studying and undertaking a work placement. If your application is successful, your visa will be in the form of a vignette bearing your photograph and will be attached to one of the pages of your passport. You need to wait until you have an offer from a university (CAS) before you can start your application. All applicants must also meet the requirements of the relevant UK Immigration Rules in order to be successful in their visa application. It’s important that you don’t miss any information.

Short-Term Study Visa in The UK

Short term study visas are available to students who wish to enroll in courses that are up to 6 months long or English language learner courses up to 11 months long. Due to regulations by the UK government, this type of visa cannot be extended in the UK. To apply for a Short-term visa, you will be required to provide evidence to prove that you can financially support yourself during your study period in the UK. All students must have at least £1,265 GBP for each month of their time in London. This is for living costs or “maintenance” as designated by UKVI (UK Visa & Immigration). You must possess these funds even if your housing has already been paid for in full. Students eligible to the Differentiation arrangements don’t have to send those documents when they submit their visa application but home office might ask them to provide those evidence at a later stage within a short notice.
Tier-4 (Child) Student Visa

Tier-4 (Child) Student Visa

If you are under 16, you will be required to apply for a Tier-4 child student visa instead. For further information regarding Tier-4 child student visa please refer to its corresponding page here.
If you are not sure about any aspect of your visa application process, contact our expert advisors by filling our inquiry form, available here. Filling this form doesn’t incur any obligation to you.

Important Information about UK Student Visa Application

IHS - Immigration Health Surcharge in UK

You may need to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your student visa application. Short-term visas that are less than 6 months don't have to pay for healthcare. You will need to pay the full amount of the charge upfront at the application stage. The charged amount will depend on how long your applied visa will be valid for.

Collecting your BRP in UK- Biometric Residence Permit

Once your visa application is successful, Home Office will issue you a 30-day entry permit in your passport which will enable you to enter the UK. You have to make sure you arrive in the UK within this time period. Your actual visa is in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You will need to collect after your arrival. Your BRP is the documented evidence of your UK immigration permission in form of a card. Therefore, make sure you keep it in a safe place at all times.

Immigration Police Registration Certificate

If your current or most recent immigration permission has (or had) the condition to register with the police, then you must submit your police registration certificate with your Tier 4 visa application. Make sure your police registration certificate is up to date and shows your current address and current immigration status.

Student Work in The Uk

Tier-4 visa holders are allowed to work in most jobs - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have. Your work conditions, including the maximum hours you can work during term-time, are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), please check carefully which work conditions apply to you and contact us for advice if you are not sure. Students on short-term student visas are not allowed to work in the UK. Given the above, the student visa application process has many details and pitfalls, which you can navigate by benefiting from the experiences of UKStudy Advisors and make this rugged path a successful and enjoyable road to success. UKStudy will be your constant companion in all aspects of UK education. You can find out more about the latest changes to student visa requirements by filling out the form below.