Want to Study at Heriot-Watt University in April / September 2020 ?
For all information about Scholarships & Discounts available at Heriot-Watt University, Apply Now !
” Scholarships & Discounts are Limited “
Study Areas & Degree Lavels
|Art & Humanities|
|Business Social Science|
|Language & Cultural|
|Medicine and Health|
|Science and Technology|
About Heriot-Watt University
Established in 1821 as the first Mechanics Institute in the world, Heriot-Watt is the 8th oldest higher education institution in the UK. The initial name of the university was the School of Arts of Edinburgh and in 1966, it became Heriot-Watt University after George Heriot – Scottish goldsmith who established educational institutions – and James Watt—father of the industrial revolution.
Heriot-Watt has 5 campuses, including Edinburgh, the Scottish Borders, and Orkney in Scotland in addition to Dubai campus (opened in 2005 with 4000 students) and Malaysia campus (opened in 2013 with over 1200 students). The university has a student service named Go Global which enables students to move from one campus to another.
The university is organised into 6 schools, that is – energy, geoscience, infrastructure and society; engineering and physical sciences; social sciences; mathematical and computer sciences and textiles and design. The aim of Heriot-Watt is to produce students prepared for work, owing to the university’s strong links with business and industry.
Business, Engineering, Art & Design departments are what Heriot-Watt is famous for.
According to Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, the university ranks 1st in Scotland and top 10 in UK for research impact. Given the Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2019, the university ranks 37th in the world, 13th in the UK, and 3rd in Scotland for international outlook, as well as 8th in Scotland in the Guardian University Guide 2020. Over 95% of Heriot-Watt students are in graduate-level jobs or further study six months after completing their programme.
The Watt Club of Heriot-Watt which is considered the oldest alumni association in the UK, founded in 1854, provides opportunities for its alumni.
Heriot-Watt University holds the TEF certificate. TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed “rigorous national quality requirements” for higher education in the UK.
Student services and facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- Free Wi-Fi and Internet access is available for students across all Heriot-Watt campuses. Plus, there are libraries equipped with PCs and printers which allows students to have access to online resources and journals, university-licensed software, and other online sources of data.
- The Cameron Smail Library at Edinburgh campus has undergone significant refurbishment to a new, desirable environment and is due to be completed by the end of 2019.
- Job opportunities are usually found easily in Edinburgh city and students are able to access part-time work on-campus.
- The Careers Service at Heriot-Watt has set up an online database for job opportunities and canvasses employers for suitable vacancies.
- The service enables students to prepare for job interviews, helps them with CVs, and assists them with finding part-time job.
- The Careers Service provides an inclusive scheme of careers talks in a variety of subjects which is complimented by a chain of interactive workshops. The service supports students with one-to-one advice on what career to choose, fill a proper job or postgraduate application, as well as gaining valuable job experience.
- In order to provide conditions for students to meet the employers and local businesses, the university makes connections with employers in every industrial area and holds career events and fairs throughout the year.
- A practicing expert offers specialist guidance in the university’s career mentoring program for all students.
Heriot-Watt university-Health Services
- The health services at Heriot-Watt includes on-campus Riccarton Medical Practice which is under NHS. In addition to general medical services, it also provides students with a high standard service for their well-being.
- The practice encourages all students to register with the practice so as to make sure that every student with every type of medical issue and discomfort has access to the GPs.
Heriot-Watt University- Counselling and Mental Health Support
- Counselling and advice support are provided for students through the Well-being Centre of the university.
- The centre offers numerous health activities, including online support, mental health advice, and mentoring, to name a few. The services at this center are easily accessible and confidential.
- Big White Wall provides 24/7 online support.
Heriot-Watt University-Disability Support
- The Well-being Centre also offers support and counselling for students with disabilities or physical/sensory impairments which affects their studies at the university.
- If needed, the university can even coordinate with departments to provide required adjustments.
- For disabled students, study skills support, assessments, assistive technology training, as well as Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) funding advice are available.
Heriot-Watt Services and Facilities
- In addition to the aforementioned services by the Well-being Centre, it also give advice to students who are nervous about their course. A daily Well-being drop-in session as well as a Thinking of Leaving drop-in service are provided to help students.
- In order to advance the university’s global research, innovation and discovery, and create cohesion between academic disciplines, industry partners and the global community, Heriot-Watt University has designed a state-of-the-art facility, known as GRID, at Edinburgh campus. It provides a globally networked space where students can learn, tackle and immerse their curiosity and intellectual passions.
Heriot-Watt and University-Students’ Union
- As a student-led union, the university’s Students’ Union (SU) help improve the student experience on campus by working in association with the university. The Advice Hub at the union supports and helps students regarding their issues with financial, disciplinary, and academic subjects.
- Not only can students set up their own society and club at the union¸ they are able to join one of the current SU’s 60 societies—including the renowned brewing society and a medieval society. There are also additional programs students can participate such as local and social change campaigns, volunteering work, faith and religious groups, as well as presidency of the union.
- Social gatherings and entertainment programs are also offered by The SU. Economical and ethically sourced food can easily be found at bars and cafés of Edinburgh campus. Moreover, numerous events and ceremonies are held throughout the year, namely club nights, live performance, and quiz nights in addition to the charity Beer Festival in March as well as Global Day for celebrating the overseas students of the university. The Thread at The Scottish Borders Campus is for students’ free time to spend time with friends and also has a free studio space.
Heriot-Watt Notable Alumni & Famous Faces
- Adam Crozier – chief executive officer of ITV
- Tammy Kane – co-founder of the fashion label Christopher Kane
- Irvine Welsh – author
- Freya Ross – Olympian distance runner
Heriot-Watt arranges an Orientation Week for new students to find out about their programme of study, meet fellow students, lecturers, and the campus.
Heriot-Watt-English Language Requirements
• Heriot-Watt has provided a great number of student accommodation with easy access to the sport facilities, academic buildings, and student union.
• All the houses are self-catered and single occupancy.
• Private study bedroom, en-suite bathrooms (for most of them), and access to broadband and laundry facilities are just some of the advantages of our accommodation.
• Heriot-Watt rooms falls into 4 categories for both undergraduates and postgraduates:
• Traditional self-catered rooms – single rooms with wash basins, and shared kitchen and bathroom
• Traditional self-catered rooms, en-suite – single rooms with private en-suite shower rooms, and shared kitchen
• Contemporary self-catered rooms, en-suite – private en-suite shower rooms, and shared kitchen
• Contemporary studio flats – double beds, private shower rooms and kitchens
Heriot-Watt University- Accommodation
• Foundation (Dubai or Malaysia campus): IELTS 5.5 overall or equivalent.
• Undergraduate: IELTS 6.0 overall or equivalent (6.5 for Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics programs and 7.5 for Interpreting and Translating languages programs)
• Postgraduate (Masters/PhD): IELTS 6.5 overall or equivalent (7.5 for Interpreting and Translating languages programs)
• In order for students to develop their English and meet the entry requirements, the university offers pre-sessional Academic English courses.
|Business Management||Applied Positive Psychology|
|Design and Crafts||Business Psychology|
|Development Studies||Civil Engineering|
|International Relations||Counselling and Psychotherapy|
|Human Resources Management||Education Information Security and Digital Forensics Acting|
|Art||English Language Teaching|
|Food Science||General Law|
|Hotel Management||International Business Management|
|Bachelor of Laws||International Law and Legal Practice|
|Film Studies||International Relations|
|Digital Media||Non-Government Organisations and Development Management|
|Hospitality and Tourism||Occupational and Organisational Psychology|
|Education Studies||Political Science|
|Computer Science||Professional Landscape Architecture|
|Interior Design||Social Work|
|Film Production||Structural Engineering|
|Architecture and Environmental Design||Theatre Directing|
|Biotechnology||Youth and Community Work|
|Dance and Drama|
|Master of Laws|
|Media and Communications|
|Oil and Gas Engineering|
|Oil and Gas Management|
|Supply Chain and Logistics|
Study In UK 2020
Costs In UK
Cost of living for those who want to study in UK includes tuition, accommodation, transportation, and food. However, there are some details about each one to notice.
The best and newest scholarships in the UK in 2020 can cover all the costs of tuition, food, accommodation, and transport from and to your home country.
Study Football in UK
You can find a place among professional footballers in either UK or anywhere around the world. You just have to know where to kick off.
Student Visas in the UK comprise two types, Short-Term & Long-Term with the latter being of two sub-classes; over 16 & under 16 years of age.