As per the standard for all tier 4 visas, the earliest you can apply for a tier 4 (child) student visa is 3 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. Feel free to refer to visa processing times
for your country on the official UK visa and Immigration
website. Due to time tables and complexities in place for student visas including Tier-4 Child Student Visa, we suggest you to never take risks and use UKStudy’s free-expert consultancy
UK Tier-4 Child Student Visa Costs
The standard fee set by the UKVI to apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa from outside the UK is £348. Please note that further charges may also apply depending on the conditions of your application. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge in advance, as a part of your application process. Please check with our advisers at UKStudy to see how much you’ll have to pay before you apply. Our suggestion is to never take risks when applying for a student visa. If you wish to be informed about the updated details about changes to the terms and conditions of tier 4 (child) student visa application, you can consult with our advisers at UKStudy. They will assist you with every step of the application process including detailed eligibility conditions, possible additional costs and required documents. They can also advise you on how to best prepare your request to be presented to the consulate.
Duration of Your Stay with Child Student Visas
The total duration of you stay while holding a tier-4 (child) student visa will be affected by your current age and the length of your course of study.
|Age when you apply||Duration of you stay|
|Under 16||Course length (up to 6 years) plus 4 months afterwards|
|16 or 17||Course length (up to 3 years) plus 4 months afterwards|
You will have permission enter the UK up to 1 week before your course starts if your course lasts 6 months or less; Or up to 1 month before your course starts if your course lasts more than 6 months.
Terms and conditions of Child Student Visa
There are certain rules regarding what you can or cannot do with a tier-4 (child) student visa which are as follows:
- You will be able to study at an independent school if you wish. You can apply from outside the UK and also apply to extend your stay if needed.
- Students can also work if you’re 16 or over, part-time during the term for up to 10 hours per week or full-time during vacations. In addition, it is possible to work on a placement as part of your course (but not for more than 50% of your course time).
- You may also be a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years.
However, you cannot study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further education college. Tier-4 (general) student visa will need to study at higher education institutes in the UK. You also will not be able to get public funds, take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed, work as a doctor or dentist in training or work as a professional sportsperson (for example a sports coach) or entertainer. It is very important to note that you will not under any circumstances have permission to settle in the UK on this visa or bring in family members (‘dependents’). If your parents wish to accompany you to the UK, they’ll need to apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa.
Documents you must provide
When you apply for Tier-4 Child Student Visa, you’ll need to provide:
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation.
- Proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course - this will vary depending on your circumstances.
- Document proving parental or other legal guardian consent.
- Proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian.
- Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test.
Additionally, you will need a blank page in your passport for your visa.
If you are not sure about any part of the application process or have any issues regarding the application process, please feel free to fill out our inquiry form below so that our professional consultants at UKStudy can reach to you with a solution within a short period of time.