These courses are sometimes referred to as Executive or Business English Courses and they are directed mainly at those who aim to improve their English communication skills for use in a work context.
They vary in length and intensity but they generally offer some or all of the following:
- English language training which is tailored to the professional needs of the learners.
- A needs analysis which is carried out by the provider institution to identify the training requirements of the professional participant.
- Specific learning goals are set.
- Training is intensive and groups are small , typically 3-5 participants.
- There is often a one to one element to the courses and sometimes it is entirely individual.
- Specialist language training is provided e.g. legal or marketing vocabulary.
- Opportunities to meet professionals in the chosen field and to visit relevant places of professional interest.
- In addition to the training aspect of the course great care is given to the kind of accommodation offered – usually good quality hotel or specially selected host families with en-suite facilities.